Monday, July 29, 2013

It's Monday, What Are You Reading?

It's Monday, What Are You Reading?

I'm officially picking up this meme today and will be posting my reading each Monday hereafter.  I'm excited to take part in an iniative that encourages reading and sharing with others.  Thanks to Teach Mentor Texts and Book Journey who originally started the meme.  I'll be reviewing picture books, middle grade books, and adult books.  I'd love to hear what you're reading, too!

 Last week I finished a couple of fun books.  This is a bit of  repeat list from my last blog post, but I added a couple more things.

PICTURE BOOKS



Another cute installment in the Otis collection. The farm animals are afraid of the bull on the farm because he is not kind to them. When a tornado strikes, however, the bull is scared and Otis comes to his rescue.  This was one my almost four-year-old daughter picked out at the library.  We have the original Otis at home and she was super excited to read another Otis book.  We also borrow Otis and the Puppy.  We haven't read it yet, but I have a feeling it will be read soon!


The Princess and the Potty by Wendy Cheyette Lewison

This book might be the turning point in our quest to potty train said daughter mentioned above.  She very much relates with the princess who does not want to use the potty in this book.  However, she ASKED for a pink potty and now has it in her room.  She is actually excited about the thought of using it.  It's been a very thrilling 24 hours in our household...

Odd Owls and Stout Pigs by Arnold Lobel

This is a fun collection of poetry written for young children about owls and pigs doing zany things and acting in nonsensical manners.  Natalie loved it!  It's got a nice lull to it and it's fun to read.


MIDDLE GRADE/YOUNG ADULT



What I love about the Hattie books are the strength and determination of a young woman in the early 1900s. Hattie left Montana in the first book and ventured to San Francisco in the second book to follow her dream of being a reporter. She's a plucky, self-sufficient female that doesn't have to rely on the good graces of men to find her way in the world. Bravo Hattie and Kirby Larson!


CURRENTLY READING


CURRENTLY LISTENING TO






I'd love to know what you're currently reading and or listening to!  Leave a comment below.  Happy reading!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Megan!
    Love this meme. Keep sharing!
    For me I'm reading book 2 of The Mortal Instruments (City of Ashes) and I'll get Magic Rises by Ilona Andrews tomorrow.
    Books I'm waiting for are The Bitter Kingdom by Rae Carson (I love this series!) and Emerald Green by Kerstin Gier (a surprisingly fun teen series).
    New books for Elliott this week were Splat the Cat - Back to School Splat, Mercy Watson to the Rescue by Kate DiCamillo, and Tallulah's Tutu by Marilyn Singer. All cute stories but I especially love the art in Tallulah's Tutu. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for the pink potty! :-) So glad you joined the #IMWAYR meme!

    ReplyDelete